Throat Chakra: The Science, The Tradition And How To Heal It
The chakras, as we have discussed earlier as well are the seven wheels of energy in the body. They start from the crown of your head and go down to the base of the spine. Everyone has seven chakras that are said to be responsible for the flow of energy within the body. When the chakras are aligned, i.e., the flow of energy is seamless, a person feels at peace with themselves. When the chakras are imbalanced, a person usually feels ill at ease with themselves and their surroundings.
Now, each of the chakras is responsible for something, and in this blog, we will talk about the throat chakra, and how to heal the throat chakra.
The vishuddha, or throat chakra, for your reference, is the body’s communication hub. It is the chakra where you find your voice, from where you speak “your” truth. The throat chakra is the chakra of expression. It is associated with truth, clarity, and responsibility.
The throat chakra is also associated with the tongue, lips, cheeks, jaw, ears, as well as the lower part of the neck and shoulders. It influences the shoulder girdle area, the neck, the chin, and the base of the skull.
The throat chakra works in conjunction with the sacral or pelvic chakra. The svadhisthana or the sacral chakra is responsible for creativity. The throat chakra helps in expressing those creative thoughts.
Understanding the elements associated with Throat Chakra
- Element: Sound or Space
- Colour: Blue
- Seed Sound: ham
- Stones and Crystals: Aquamarine, turquoise
Signs of the Throat Chakra Imbalance
The major emotional signs that point towards the throat chakra being imbalanced are as follows:
- Feeling depressed or anxious
- Low self-esteem in general
- Inability to express
- Constant cough or lump in throat
- Fear of being in public or talking to people in general
Alternatively, a lot of people also experience the following:
- Talking too much and randomly
- Using inappropriate language
- Mismatch between what you are thinking and what you said
- Dominating conversations unnecesarily.
The physical signs associated with an imbalance of throat chakra include:
- Thyroid problems
- Sore throat
- Hoarseness of the voice
- Ear infections
- Gum infections or diseases
- Sinus troubles
- Tight shoulders
- Issues with the Temporomandibular joint.
Why should you invest your time in Throat chakra healing?
All of us need to communicate clearly if we want to go by our lives smoothly. Humans are social animals, and if we do not communicate, how would we even survive? This very primal requirement is the reason why one should work towards their throat chakra healing.
When the throat chakra is open and balanced, the person can speak fearlessly and with compassion. It also boosts their ability to listen to others and understand them better. The ability to speak clearly with compassion and to understand others is what makes one happy in their relationships, too, be it professional or personal; and who doesn’t want to be happy, right?
How to heal your throat Chakra?
Now, that we have looked at the signs of an imbalance throat chakra and why should one heal it, let us look at how can we heal the throat chakra. To begin with, there are some very fundamental things that one can do. These are listed below:
- Protect your neck with a scarf or clothing that warms up the region and brings attention to it as well
- Take some warm tea and honey concoction every day, preferably in the morning
- Practice yoga poses that bend and stretch the neck (details will be shared in the next section)
- Chant, sing or humm every now and then to keep your throat vibrating
Let us now look at the ways for healing throat chakra in detail.
A lot of our emotions or the way we feel and express ourselves is dependent on how our brain thinks. Positive affirmations are a way for ensuring that our mind doesn’t wander off to negativity. Some common positive affirmations for healing throat chakra are:
Humming, Chanting, and Singing
Singing is one of the best ways to help help your throat chakra. Now, you don’t have to be a singer to do that. Singing releases stress. A lot of us have this habit to burst into a song or hum a tune now and then. Not only does this help us feel at ease, but it also helps vibrate the chords of the throat, thus keeping it balanced and active. One can also try chanting mantras. The mantras given their association with the divine, the mantras not just unblock the throat chakra but also invoke the spiritual spirits.
Proper Eating Habits
A person is a reflection of what they eat. The throat chakra governs the mouth, tongue, and throat, and so whatever one consumes may end up impacting it. We all have seen how our throat is probably the first to get affected whenever we eat something unsavoury. It is for this reason that most singers maintain a very dedicated sattvik diet that is devoid of any spicy, extra sour, extra hot, or extra cold food.
Using essential oils and Going for Ritual Baths
We have in our previous blogs talked about how ritual baths can be of the essence in balancing the chakras. In addition, certain essential oils help soothe the mood even when they are simply diffused into the ambiance. Listing the major essential oils suitable for healing throat chakra. You can also use top 10 throat chakra essential oils.
- Frankincense: Beneficial for an underactive thyroid, this essential oil amplifies your spiritual awareness.
- Geranium: This essential oil is instrumental in soothing sore throat, clearing oily skin, and unblocking the stagnant energy points. It helps one connect with their emotions at a deeper level.
- Jasmine: The major throat chakra essential oil, Jasmine is known for its positive impact on clearing the voice and removing the hoarseness. It helps heal pain and wounds and promotes intimacy
- Sage: A master healer, this essential oil is beneficial for gum diseases and helps in opening the upper body and chest area
- Clove: This warm and spicy essential oil has been used for ages for healing the mouth, tooth and hum tissue. It also helps in regulating the thyroid gland and promotes the sense of security and self-expression.
Surround yourself with the color blue
Another way of throat chakra healing is to surround yourself with the color blue, celestial blue, to be precise. You can also practice guided meditation for this process, whereby you focus on your breath and inhale and exhale, imagining that the blue color is filling up your body. One common way of practicing guided meditation for throat chakra healing is given below:
- Sit comfortably with your eyes closed
- Take a note of your thoughts and align them with your breathing pattern
- Feel your breath entering through the nostrils and passing down through the back part of the throat and into your lungs
- As you exhale, breathe slowly and make a conscious effort to listen to the “hum” sound associating with the air leaving your body
- Repeat this and try and focus on the sound of your breath as you do it.
The throat chakra healing isn’t just about speaking up. It is about expressing, and journaling has been known to be a good way of expression and catharsis. Many psychologists and therapists also advise journaling for people so that they may express their pent up emotions and heal deeply.
There are dedicated crystals that are suited for throat chakra healing. You don’t have to place them on your throat, rather, in most cases, you can carry them along. Now, the throat chakra is associated with the colour celestial blue, and hence the crystals would be associated with the same as well. The crystals suited for throat chakra healing are:
- Lapiz Lazuli
- Blue Apatite
- Blue Lace Agate.
So, friends, this was all from our side about the throat chakra. Hope it helped you gain some perspective into if your throat chakra is balanced or not, and if it isn’t, then how can you possibly heal it.